OT - Re: SC - "Smalls" are not underwear in period

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Jun 27 04:59:11 PDT 1999

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Ras declared:
> > As you see, being offended by peculiar usage of nothing more than 'words' is
> > absurd.
>
> So, cook, feastocrat, headcook, chef, cuisiner, kitchener, hash slinger
> are all the same to you?

If I may stick my ponderous nose, for a second, into a discussion that
probably isn't as serious as it sounds: no, they're not all the same.
But only up to a certain point. It is not in the power of anyone other
than myself to define who or what I am, and I've been called hashslinger
both in and out of the SCA with a great deal of pride, in keeping with
the spirit of its usage. Yes, in the SCA I prefer kitchener, or almost
anything else, including hashslinger, over feastocrat. Some people will
never change, though, and one shouldn't be restricted by other people's
weaknesses. You can simply choose not to become offended.

Adamantius, wondering how this topic got so odd so fast...
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com