SC - open fire bread bakeing question

Melanie Wilson MelanieWilson at compuserve.com
Tue Jun 29 23:42:34 PDT 1999

>I've had the temperature differential high enough to turn the bottom 1
inch
of the loaf to charcoal and leave the top unbaked.  Cutting off the bottom
does not salvage such a loaf.

True enough, the thing is it shouldn't be in the full heat, either hang
quite high or the preferable way is to cook in embers, by surronding them,
if you build a proper fire pit with graduated heat you can cook just about
anything at the correct temprature and have an 'ember end' to scrape the
embers to & cook bread this was and a hot end and all points between !

However this isn't always practical due to size of fire allowed or area or
time or whatever !

>Depending on the material and the shape of the bowl,

My griddle is a very heavy one so you can heat it up first add dough raise
up then cook using retained heat.

>coals placed on top

by coals do you mean coal ? if so this is far to fierce a heat & will give
such problems, ajust your woods on the fire to give the required burning
propities for the job. If anyone is interested there are some details of
propities of woods on one of my web pages, very draft form as I've not had
time to tidy it up yet, I'll check & post details

Mel