SC - SCA-Cook's get-together at Gulf Wars?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Mar 2 00:17:43 PST 1999

Adamantius wrote:

Hey, cool! Boengers un maishe? Even overweight, middle-aged rugby
fans have to eat! Are boengers/boerewors of the gristly variety ;  )
?

Bangers & mash is a very close equivalent but boerewors is a much
better sausage than your average banger.   It is a delicious
spicy local sausage sold (& cooked) in long thick lengths (usually
coiled).  The dominant spice is coriander and the proportions of meat
& fat, the cuts of meat and the spices used have to conform with
government regulations with before the name can legally be used.
The much cheaper and very dodgy braaiwors is similar but is subject
to no regulation at all as far as I can tell and it shows in the
commercial product (Cairistiona found a tooth in one particularly
dodgy sausage).  If you're interested I can send you a recipe. Jan

Dr. Ian van Tets
Department of Zoology,       ph: +27 +21 650 3605 (w)
University of Cape Town,                 650 3301 (fax)
Rondebosch 7701                          689 7839 (h)
Rep. of South Africa.     e-mail: ivantets at botzoo.uct.ac.za