SC - Puck's marzipan

Ian van Tets IVANTETS at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Tue Mar 2 15:23:10 PST 1999

Hello Puckles!  Full marks for effort in the translation!

Somne suggestions:

>Nym geriben oder geftoffen Mandel:

I would suggest past tense - take grated or pounded almonds

>der gar klein ist so er gestossen is -

perhaps:  that are so fine you can pass them through a sieve?

>so nym schmectend rosenwasser

take 'good-tasting' rosewater

>da wirk ei weiss von

if this is really a von, we're missing a phrase here.  Could you
check this bit, please?  Might it be 'ein'?  Then it would read 'work
an egg white in', which makes sense to me.

>Thu schier soviel zucker darein als der Mandel.

I blush to admit it, bit I don't know what schier means, offhand, and
my dictionary is at home.  It sounds as though you had the right idea
- - Add as much sugar as almonds.  Will check and get back to you.

>Nym der oblat

Nym is take, not make.  Is there a mould involved?  It sounds as
though this may be the case.

>an die leg auff ein Papir.

Lay a paper on the oblat (another word I'll check when I get home) -
sounds as though you're rolling out on rice paper or similar?

>da mach du den marcipan

make the marzipan

>gross wilt machen:  so nym die oblat

[as] large [as] you want to make it??

>nez andertem

>leg ein ander oblat daran

>es hafft anein ander

Are these Fs or Ss?  Although pretty and 'authentic' in feel, it
makes it really hard to read when long S gets written as an F.  After
all, we don't alter most other lettering.

>sonst zu grossen marcipan ist ein oblat zu klein

>nym dann ein inger fey hulzin oder eyfin

Are the Fs here Ss too?  It would help me to know.

>eins zweihen finger gross.

Let me check the rest of this at home, but we should be able to 'nut'
it out between us.  In the meantime, well done!

Dr. Ian van Tets
Department of Zoology,       ph: +27 +21 650 3605 (w)
University of Cape Town,                 650 3301 (fax)
Rondebosch 7701                          689 7839 (h)
Rep. of South Africa.     e-mail: ivantets at botzoo.uct.ac.za