SC - Salmon (was: meat and seafood marinades)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Mar 2 12:49:48 PST 1999

At 5:58 PM -0600 2/27/99, Helen wrote:
>Hi,
>    I am fighting with my family over how best to cook the salmon and lamb for
>my wedding feast.

Here is a 15th-c. English salmon recipe, good and not too complicated:

Salmon roste in Sauce
Two Fifteenth Century p. 102

Take a Salmond, and cut him rounde, chyne and all, and rost the peces on a
gredire; And take wyne, and pouder of Canell, and drawe it thorgh a
streynour; And take smale myced oynons, and caste there-to, and lete hem
boyle; And then take vynegre, or vergeous, and pouder ginger, and cast
there-to; and then ley the samon in a dissh, and cast the sirip theron al
hote, & serue it forth. [end of original; thorns replaced by th]

1 3/4 lb salmon	3/4 t cinnamon	1/4 c red wine vinegar
3/4 c white wine	1 medium onion, 6 oz	1/4 t ginger

Chop onion; put onion, wine, and cinnamon in small pot, cook on medium
about 20 minutes. Add ginger and vinegar. Simmer. Meanwhile, take salmon
steaks, cut into serving sized pieces, place on ungreased baking pan or
cookie sheet. Broil for 10 minutes until lightly browned. Turn salmon,
making certain pieces are separated, cook another 4 minutes or until done.
Serve immediately with sauce over it.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook