SC - RE: Dry Site Issues

Jennifer Carlson JCarlson at firstchurchtulsa.org
Tue Mar 2 14:39:39 PST 1999

In a message dated 3/1/99 5:14:49 PM Eastern Standard Time, Aelfwyn at aol.com
writes:

<< Hello all, I will be doing the feast for Northern Lights A&S on March 21.
Our
 site is a school, so dry. We have encountered problems before with a school
 when alcohol was used in cooking part of the feast. I have tried to select
 recipes that avoid the use of any, but there are some sticky points. I can
use
 nonalcoholic wines and beers if need be, but does anyone have any experience
 using these in period recipes?  >>

Have you tried checking with the site to see if they will allow you to use
alcohol in cooking only?  Our shire's Twelfth Night feast was held at a dry
site, and, as autocrat, I spoke with the business manager and asked if it
would be acceptable for us to use alcohol in cooking so that the dishes being
served by our "non-profit educational organization" (using those words also
dropped the site fee by nearly 70%) would be authentic.  They had no problem
whatsoever with us using alcohol for cooking purposes.

Brangwayna Morgan