SC - German Oblaten

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Mar 3 15:54:59 PST 1999

Greetings!  The term probably _does_ refer to communion-type wafers
since they are still commercially available.  The German import house
here in Cleveland had at least three different sizes a number of years
ago which I used for the base of my small marchpanes.  The modern
oblaten are very white and papery, which reminds many of us of the
communion wafers that melt in the mouth, or that "papery" substance
used on Italian nougats.  How papery the German wafers would have been
in the 1500s and 1600s, I don't know.

English marchpanes call for the marzipan to be laid on "wafers".  IIRC,
at least one recipe calls for layering the wafers to increase the
dimension of the marchpane.  Some English recipes for marchpanes
indicate that their thickness is about "two fingers", again IIRC.

Alys Katharine