SC - Puck's marzipan

pop.efortress.com kappler at efortress.com
Sat Mar 6 13:18:18 PST 1999

At 7:34 AM -0500 3/6/99, Tollhase1 at aol.com wrote:
>Is this Fremont Ohio perchance, I could not get that lucky?  I would love to
>find out the size of oranges used in an apple orange tart.  Just how
>sweet/tart were period oranges?

Fremont California, I'm afraid. But there is at least one source for both
trees in California that is on the web and sells mailorder--Pacific Tree
Farms at:

http://www.kyburg.com/ptf/Default.htm

The nursery where I got my trees gave me a sour orange from one of their
trees. It weighs just under a quarter of a pound. I don't know how typical
that is. I haven't tasted it yet, but I gather that they are too sour for
eating out of hand, and used mostly for marmalade.

What is the source for your apple orange tart recipe? If it is 16th or 17th
century, it might be using sweet oranges.

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University
ddfr at best.com