SC - facsimile of Puck's marzipan

pop.efortress.com kappler at efortress.com
Sun Mar 7 16:56:47 PST 1999

- -Poster: Jean Holtom <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

>When I was a kid my Dad would take a big pot down to Little Mexico (Dallas) every
>saturday morning to buy menudo.  When we brought it home, he would always add
>tomatoes to it (My Dad was not Mexican, so I believe the tomato thing was
>something he just preferred.)  My maternal grandmother was, however, from Mexico
>City... you couldn't get her to touch menudo!  Strange indeed!  While I liked it
>growing up, here in the Florida panhandle it is just not made the same way at
>all.  Thanks for the recipe.  My husband will love it.

I've seen a lot of regional differences in Mexican/South West Cuisine.  And there
seems sometimes to be even more of a difference between Mexican versions and South
West US versions of the same dish sometimes (which doesn't make either version not
authentic).

My recipe for Menudo comes from West Texas, and has more ingredients in it,
including canned tomatoes, garlic, and herbs, and uses an ox tail and a marrow bone
vs a calf's foot.  Also it uses fresh vs dried chiles.

Menudo is traditionally eaten on New Years day as was stated, and on weekend
mornings, more so on Sundays than Saturdays.  People would often hop across the
border to buy some on a weekend.

I was not aware of its use as a hangover remedy, but often while living in the
Southwest, I did hear people associate it with a feeling of nausea (or worse);-),
which I understood to be associated with the nature of the dish.  (i.e. You either
loved it or hated it, and was not apparently for delicate stomachs).

Maybe it just got a bad rap?
Elysant