SC - viking cookery

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Mar 7 22:34:16 PST 1999

Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 10:18:13
From: Micaylah <dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca>
Subject: Re: SC - Question

At 09:29 AM 3/7/99 EST, Ras postulated...
>This caught my eye as well. Although the herbs included in the recipes were
>grown in period, I am unaware of their use as a major contributing 'spice'
>during the time period sited. It am inclined to agree that these recipes are
>simply modern recipes which resemble known descriptions of foods that may
have
>been served during the Byzantine period.
>
>The most glaring tidbit that pops out at me is the lack of oriental spices
>(e.g. cinnamon, cloves, etc.). This is highly unusual for that period or any
>period within the SCA time frame other than early modern cuisine (post-1450
>C.E.) and is definitely unusual for a noble table. This leads me to the
>conclusion that these recipes are most likely NOT based on any real Byzantine
>counterparts. IMO, the recipes on the site woukd be possible combinations but
>are highly unlikely to have been produced  or served by an actual Byzantine
>cook.

Is there any way that someone could feasibly contact the person whose page
it is and ask them if there is any documentation?

- ---
I emailed them a couple of days ago with no response.  Then I went to you guys
as the people here have more actual knowledge.

I'm working on trying to hammer out a decent menu for my Spanish Feast Project
for class.  I've got picky eaters and no personal experience with redactions.
So, while I can figure out a goodly bit of the directions in the cookbooks I
have, I'm a little scared and being such a newbie that I am the idea of
starting a whole thread on this list on what is right for various redactions of
my own kind of scares me.  Especially since, unlike many of you good folk, I
would really be working blind since I don't really have any test-cooking
resources (Who the h*ll is the bloody bugger that came up with the ever so
intelligent decision to remove all the kitchens from the dorms???)

It was difficult enough convincing the bulk of my classmates (and there are
only 10 of us in the class) that if I was serving a meal to them as part of my
presentation, I would indeed expect them to pay for it, and no, it wouldn't be
pizza and soda.

<sigh>

Never having actually had to deal with people who wouldn't eat food because
they don't eat that sort of food, I've one other question: is lamb considered a
red meat?