SC - Oublies

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Mar 8 04:13:32 PST 1999

Hello Puck!

Seems I did not tell everybody that German and not English is my native
language.:-)
Here I include what my PClingua dictionary makes out of gar.see the last
meaning.

gar.
I. adj.
1. Cu: usu.pred. g. (gekocht), (well) cooked, done; nicht ganz g., not quite
cooked; (Fleisch) slightly underdone.
2. South G: & Aus: F: (Lebensmittel) finished, used up.
II. adv. (a) g. nicht, not at all, by no means; g. nicht schlecht, not at
all bad; g. nichts, nothing at all; g. keiner, nobody at all; er hat g. kein
Geld, he has absolutely no money; es fällt mir g. nicht ein, I have no
intention of doing any such thing; (b) (sogar) oder g. ..., or (perhaps)
even ...; (c) (verstärkend) g. zu hoch/zu viel, far too high/too much; ich
wäre g. zu gerne gekommen, I would have loved to come; er ist g. so jung, he
is so very young.

>Then Katerina said:

>>der gar klein ist so er gestossen is -

>> perhaps:  that are so fine you can pass them through a sieve?
>[MAYER,ING,SUSANNE    FEM BENAT]
>which (der)  very small/ fine (gar klein) is (ist)  when/if  (so) he/it
(er)
>pounded (gestossen ist, past tense)
>Mandel /almond is was maskulin in this context (der Mandel, he), today it
is
>feminine die Mandel (she)

>the problem I have with this is that, as I understood it, in German the
>second word in a sentence is always a verb.  Now, the modern translation of
>'gar' is as an adverb :sufficiently cooked.  Could it not have been used as
>a verb in the MA, such as roast and braise are both verbs describing a type
>or method of cooking?  That was my take on it anyway.  Leaving the verb to
>the end of the sentence just doesn't seem right to me.

>Gwen-Catrin von Berlin wrote:

>gar is indeed used in a determination of doneness, but it is also a word
that
>is not there in English.   (the German phrase "garnicht" and "nicht" are
>similar: "nothing" but the garnicht  would be more like nothing-at-all.
>I do think you can interpret the  >>der gar klein ist so er gestossen ist<<

>as almond that be QUITE ot TRULY small once it is crushed (as in a mortar).

Again I include the passage from my dictionary.
Both interpretions are correct but in the context I would opt for there
(location)

da.
I. adv.
1. (räumlich) (a) there; esp. South G: here; er wohnt da, he lives
there/South G: here; da drüben, over there; da kommt sie ja! there/here she
comes! (b) here; da sind wir, here we are; da, nimm das Geld, here, take the
money; er ist schon da, he's already arrived; ich bin gleich wieder da, I'll
be back in a minute; ist ein Brief für mich da? is there a letter for me?
ist noch etwas Brot da? is there any bread left? (c) (Ausrufe) da hast du's!
there you are! sieh da! look at that! nichts da! nothing doing!
2. (zeitlich) then; (a) da lachte er, then he laughed; von da an, from then
on; (b) F: (in dem Fall) da gehe ich lieber gleich, in that case/then I'd
rather go straight away; nun, was macht man da? what does one do in a case
like this?
II. conj. (a) (Ursache) as, since; da sie hübsch war, nahm er sie mit,
as/since she was pretty, he took her with him; (b) (zeitlich) Lit: when; da
er noch in London wohnte, while/as long as he was still in London; in dem
Augenblick, da ich es hörte, the moment I heard it.
III. da-, prefix before prep. ... it, ... them; ... that, ... those; dafür,
for it/them; dagegen, against it/them; damit, with it/them; darauf, on
it/them; North G: F: da kann ich nichts für, I can't help it; da weiß ich
nichts von, I know nothing about it.

> >da mach du den marcipan
>
> make the marzipan
>[MAYER,ING,SUSANNE    FEM BENAT]
>on this (da is  here for a location) make you the marzipan

>Ok, I'll buy that, though I took da (again from my dictionary) to mean
then,
>as in a preperatory phrase: then you make the marzipan, or then take this
>glob you just made and turn it into the final product if you will.

>more in a bit, Puck

Anyway If you would not have posted the recipie in first hand we would not
have this discusion.
Now we have three german ones and as soon as I find the time I type the one
from "the Medieval Kitchen".

Yours Katharina