SC - Rissoles on a Fish Day

snowfire@mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Mon Mar 8 16:27:22 PST 1999

Well, I redacted and Cooked my fist recipe.  Here it is:
Phillipa
Comments?

volume  II of Cariadoc's Collection of Medieval and Renaissance Cookbooks.
from Du Fait de Cuisine, trans. by Elizabeth Cook.

RISSOLES ON A FISH DAY

Cook chestnuts on a low fire and peel them and have hard cooked eggs and
peeled cheese and chop it all up small.  Then pour on egg yolks and mix in
powdered herbs and a very little free running salt.  And make your rissoles.
Then fry in  lots of oil and add sugar.

NOTE:  In Lent, instead of eggs  & cheese put in cooked whiting & sciaena,
chopped very small or the flesh of pike and eel and chopped figs and dates.

Item:  On ordinary days they can be made of figs, grapes, chopped apples,  and
shelled nuts to mimic pignon nuts and powdered spices.  And the dough should
be very well saffroned. Then fry them in oil

2 lbs chestnuts*1
3 hard boiled eggs
2 lbs peeled cheese - ie:gouda*2
3 egg yolks*
a large pinch of powdered herbs*3
a pinch of salt
enough oil to fry in
enough sugar to dust the end product

Cook chestnuts over low flame until soft (about 20 minutes) then peel.
Peel the cheese and peel the hard boiled eggs and chop them small.
Combine the cheese, chestnuts and eggs in  a bowl large enough to mix in.
Add the raw egg yolks and the powdered herbs and the salt and mix well.
Make patties out of the mixture and fry in oil until golden.*4
Serve hot but before eating, dust with sugar,

*1 - Having no chestnuts I used "batata" a potato like root vegetable from
Mexico, They can be gotten from many supermarkets.  It has a lighter, less
starchy taste than  potato and is a good starch substitute for chestnuts.
*2 -  For those of us that cannot eat dairy..... I used a cheese-like product
called "Rice Slice" gotten from my health food store.  This stuff is very like
processed American cheese slices.  It does not melt as smoothly as real
cheese, but, hye, when you are stuck for an ingredient.......
*3 - The powdered herbs I used were: thyme, basil, tarragon
*4 - This dish is ment to be pan fried, which I did with good results, BUT,
for me personally, frying gives me a heck of a stomach ache...so in future I
will lightly oil a cookie sheet and place it in a hot oven (400o) When the
cookie sheet gets hot, I will place the rissoles on the sheet, spray with
cooking spray and bake for about 12 - 15 minutes.