SC - pig cooking on a spit.

Helen him at gte.net
Tue Mar 9 17:55:49 PST 1999

jlmatterer at labyrinth.net writes:

<<  The opening word calligraphed on the
 period picture is "Butium." My latin is not so good - is this butter?

 Huen >>

well, I'm not sure but a quick search for the derivation of 'butter' came up
with the following:

[Greek] bûtyrum (y, Sid. Carm. 12, 7; bu-tyron, Aen. Mac. Herb. c. de ruta.
buturum, Edict. Diocl. p. 15), i, n., = bouturon [said to be a Scythian word,
but prob. boûsturos; Engl. butter], butter, Cels. 4, 15; 4, 18; 5, 26, 30;
Col. 6, 12, 5; Plin. 11, 41, 96, § 239; 28, 9, 35, § 133 sq.

butyro stipendiati, serving for butter, getting butter for pay,

buterum --> butyrum

So far, I have found no lnown Latin word which resembles 'butium' which has
been translated by any L-E dictionary. ;-( Will keep searching.

Ras

butyrum / buterum / buytrum

buytrum --> butyrum

butium                  ========   UNKNOWN