SC - Names (OT)

James L. Matterer jlmatterer at labyrinth.net
Wed Mar 10 13:39:08 PST 1999

Gretchen M Beck wrote:

> Excerpts from internet.listserv.sca-cooks: 10-Mar-99 Re: SC - Names (OT)
> "James L. Matterer"@laby (604*)
>
> > I wonder how many of you can figure out how to pronounce my mundane last
> > name?:)
>
> > One hint - it is NOT "Matter-er."
>
> > I'll be surpised if anyone gets it - it is pronouced completely
> > different than you might expect!
>
> "Smith"?
>
> toodles, margaret

It is spelled "Smith" but pronounced "Basiliskus."

Sorry folks, that was a BMDL insiders joke! Many years ago, there was a
member of the Barony-Marche of the Debatable Lands whose name was Aleric
Basiliskus. When the heralds told him he couldn't use that last name, he
changed it to "Smith" pronounced "Basisliskus."

Margaret knows how my mundane name is really pronounced - thanks for not
giving it away yet!

One more hint - the spelling is German, the ancestry is French
(Alsace-Lorraine), and the pronunciation is the American version of the
French pronunciation (whew!).

Huen
- --
A Boke of Gode Cookery