SC - Names - OT

James Gilly / Alasdair mac Iain alasdair.maciain at snet.net
Thu Mar 11 08:24:04 PST 1999

Documentation?  No.  It is one of my family's names and we have always
pronounced it "air-wrens".
The only "documentation" needed is that the a has an
umlaut over it, which means that it is pronounced
as "ai" rather than "ah".  This is proper German pronunciation.
Unfortunately, my keyboard does not have any diacritics on it so I
can't type my name properly.  Your baby book's pronunciation is wrong.

Huette

- ---upsxdls at Okstate.edu wrote:

> Mistress Huette,  My son's middle name is Ahren.  We found it in a
baby book
> over 20 years ago (he's 20 today).  According to the book, it is
"old lower
> German" for "eagle" and was pronounced Ah-wren.  Do you have
documentation for
> the Air-wren pronunciation?  If so, I'd love to have it.  Thanks,
Leanna of
> Sparrowhaven
>

> sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG on 03/10/99 04:40:14 PM
>

>  To:      sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
>
>  cc:      (bcc: Diana L Skaggs/prsnl/busfin/Okstate)
>

>  Subject: Re: SC - Names (OT)
>

> I personally think that however good the heralds
> are they will always massacre names, because they
> really just want to keep us humble.
>
> Mistress Huette Aliza von und zu Ahrens und (Hew-et'-teh Ah-lee'-tza
> vahn unt tzu Air'-wrens unt)
> Mechthildberg
> (Mekt'-hilt-berg)
>
> Even a herald with a German person mispronounced my
> name.  The only part he got correct was Mistress.
> Sigh!
>
> ---Heitman <fiondel at fastrans.net> wrote:
> >
> > At 07:46 AM 3/10/99 -0500, you wrote:
> > >You should hear people butcher my name!
> > >
> > >Faoiltighearna
> > >(FEL-ti-YAR-na)
> >

> > And just how many ways would you think is possible to pronounce
> >
> > Franz Johann Gottskrieger?
> >
> > In fifteen years of the SCA, I think the court heralds have gotten
> it right
> > maybe twice!
> >
> > The usual mistake is Franz Joseph, or some misspelling like
> Goatenkrueger.
> >
> > Just call me
> >
> > FRANZ.

> SCA-Cooks".