SC - Koser foods - history query

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Fri Mar 12 07:51:42 PST 1999

snowfire at mail.snet.net wrote:

> -Poster: Jean Holtom <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

> >And since Thames is generally mispronounced (and misspelled) against its
> >actual name, by Britons in Britain, what's your point?
>
> I am a Briton. We pronounce OUR rivers and towns the way WE want to.  River
> Thames which flows into New London, is obviously named after the original
> Thames which flows onto Old London. Norwich CT is obviously named after Norwich
> in England.  As the names are so revered as to be copied faithfully "over
> here", then logic seems to dictate somehow that the pronounciation should
> follow (?) Obviously it does not. :-)

Who said anything about logic? How much logic goes into the
pronunciations of names like Charmondeley and Fotheringay? I question
the attitude that says that it is OK for the British to allow their
language to become corrupted in their own land, but that it is not OK
elsewhere. One might very well argue that, due to geographical
isolation, some forms of American English are older and more pure than
the patois currently spoken in some parts of Britain today.

> Besides,there are more of us speaking your language than there are of you. I
> >believe that's President's English you're speaking of, ma'am ;  )
>
> <Yawn!>

Not that our President actually speaks English or anything, but then
neither does a good chunk of Congress, especially the mush-mouths that
currently seem to get the greatest coverage in the media.

> >> BTW I'm curious.  Is "Cheez n' Crackers" Queen's English?  I don't recall
> >> seeing it listed...
> >No, I've heard that expression with fair frequency here in Queens...
>
> "Queens" English? (groan);-)

Excuse me. I should have said, President's English ;  )

Besides, I've been meaning to ask you...what's a nice Celtic girl like
you doing speaking German anyway? ;  )

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Adamantius
- --