SC - Cooking for special requests

Sharon R. Saroff sindara at pobox.com
Fri Mar 12 09:47:09 PST 1999

>Fish done "en cazuela", on the other hand, is placed in the
>casserole with spices, herbs, and a small amount of liquid: verjuice
>or orange juice and/or oil.  It is then cooked on the embers or in the
>oven.  Several of the recipes specify that the casserole must be
>tightly covered, and if it is not, it should be cooked in the oven.  I
>imagine that this is to ensure that the fish is exposed to heat on
>top, since it is apparently not covered by the liquid.

>Brighid

What you describe here sounds most like the method known as "braising".
Braising is usually a 'moist roasting' method, and is done with meats or
vegetables in a small amount of liquid in the oven.  The fact that they
are not covered allows the meat to roast, the small amount of liquid
ensures a moistness in the finished product.  It also makes for a
wonderful sauce, using the reduced cooking liquid that has the drippings
in it.  (Kind of like deglazing the pan without that step).  The liquid
can also be used for basting.  In the case of a fish steak, the basting
would serve to cook the top of the meat as well.
Christianna