SC - Portable Pie Oven

James L. Matterer jlmatterer at labyrinth.net
Fri Mar 12 13:56:31 PST 1999

I have a picture of some sort of portable pie oven on the WWW at:

http://www.labs.net/dmccormick/huen/mpix/mpix39.jpg

The picture is identified as being "Street sellers, 1417, Constance,
Germany." The source is P. W. Hammond, Food & Feast in Medieval England.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or knowledge of:

(1) the large pretzel-like objects above the pie shop, upper right.
Would these be like our modern soft pretzel, or like a sort of cake, or
a bread? Or something entirely different? They look like they would be
fun to make for an outdoor event.

(2) the portable pie oven. Is it a complete oven, where the entire
baking process was performed, or simply some sort of warmer that
transported the food to the pie shop itself? Would a "real" oven like
this really be feasible?

Thanks,
Huen
- --