SC - [OT - fwd] Fwd: Kitchen Humor

James Gilly / Alasdair mac Iain alasdair.maciain at snet.net
Fri Mar 12 17:54:51 PST 1999

At 09:12 AM 3/12/99 EST, you wrote:
>More importantly, was the expansive  prohibition regarding combining
milk/meat
>as opposed to the scriptural ban on combining child/mother's milk put into
use
>pre-period or was this a result of general religious prohibitions set in
place
>during later periods?
>Ras

The teaching that I recieved from my ULTRA ORTHODOX Rabbi was the reason
behind the seperation of meat and dairy was cultural integrity. Iit dates
back to the Roman occupation of the Holy land, and the mixing of cultures
that occurs during any such situation.

The Romans evidently ate a fair number of "milk stews". The rabbis of the
time preached against such mixing to keep the Jewish culture from
disappearing into the "universal" one of Rome.

During a time of occupation and assimilation, Israel has survived by
maintaining a "seperate" existance from the "dominant" society.

Egypt, Assyria, Rome, Spain, Russia. Yet the Culture survives "intact".
Even in the great melting pot of NYC, where the Hassidics have their own
state funded public school. The rules seem to work when the motivation is
correct.
Franz