SC - Salmon Casserole (Recipe)

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Fri Mar 12 18:33:36 PST 1999

I would like to put out a question for discussion:

I have been spending time looking at medieval recipes.  Due to health concerns
so much of the composition of the recipes would "kill" me if I cooked it as
stated in the recipe.  Sooooo, I have started making replacements of food
stuffs and changing cooking methods to suit my personal needs.  ie:
instead of fyring in oil, I "fry" using 1 tsp of oil in 1 C of water in a very
hot pan
instead of 8 eggs, I use egg replacer
instead of milk  I use rice milk or soy
etc.....you get the idea.
My question is:  At what point does the recipe stop being "the recipe;?
My question is:  If one cannot be a purist (sp?) about thier medieval food,
isn't getting "a taste" of or "feel for" the *idea* of the recipe better than
nothing at all?  How do you all feel about this?  Comments please!
Phillipa (who wishes she could sometimes eat pizza)