SC - Names (OT)

D. Clay-Disparti Clay at talstar.com
Sat Mar 13 06:11:38 PST 1999

Phillippa asked for comments on her try at rissoles on a fish day.

>RISSOLES ON A FISH DAY
>
>Cook chestnuts on a low fire and peel them and have hard cooked eggs and
>peeled cheese and chop it all up small.  Then pour on egg yolks and mix in
>powdered herbs and a very little free running salt.  And make your rissoles.
>Then fry in  lots of oil and add sugar.
> Item:  On ordinary days they can be made of figs, grapes, chopped apples,
>and
> shelled nuts to mimic pignon nuts and powdered spices.  And the dough should
> be very well saffroned. Then fry them in oil.

(snip; this is part of her version):
>Make patties out of the mixture and fry in oil until golden.
>Serve hot but before eating, dust with sugar,

The recipe says "make your rissoles" but doesn't tell you how. Here is a
parallel recipe from a roughly contemporary English source:

Ryschewys Closed and Fried
Two Fifteenth Century p. 45/97

Take figs, and grind them small in a mortar with a little oil, and grind
with them cloves and maces; and then take it up into a vessel, and cast
thereto pines, saunders and raisons of corinth and minced dates, powdered
pepper, canel, salt, saffron; then take fine paste of flour and water,
sugar, saffron and salt, and make fair cakes thereof; then roll thine stuff
in thine hand and couch it in the cakes and cut it, and fold them in
ryshews, and fry them up in oil; and serve forth hot. [end of original;
spelling modernized]

Note that this recipe gives some detail to "making your rissoles" (I'm
assuming rissoles are the same thing as ryschews). You make a sweetened
flour-water dough flavored with saffron. You make "cakes" out of the dough,
put the filling in the cakes, cut it (?) and fold it the way you are
supposed to fold ryshews--I simply make a round flat piece of dough, put a
limp of filling on it, fold over and pinch the edges to seal. You then fry
this. Given that the "ordinary day" version of your recipe says, "And the
dough should be very well saffroned", I suspect the same thing is being
done here.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook