SC - more almond milk questions

Helen him at gte.net
Mon Mar 15 20:01:28 PST 1999

hi from Anne-Marie

we are told about a way to preserve eggs...
>         "In order to have enough eggs for winter use
>>         (hens lay more eggs during March, April, May
>>         and June on the farm), and to take care of the
>>         deluge of eggs during the peak laying months,
>>         Great-grandma preserved her own.  She might
>>         have used mucilage made of gum arabic or
>>         gum tragacanth dissolved in water; albumen,
>>         or the white of egg; collodion, linseed oil,
>>         paraffin; shellac, or other varnish;
>>         saltpeter, lard, sugar syrup, finely
>>         powdered gypsum, or plaster of Paris,
>>         dry salt, and various solutions such as
>>         lime or soda, in water.  The eggs, after
>>         having the solution brushed on, dried on a
>>         bed of dry sand or blotting paper, were
>>         then packed, with the small ends down, in
>>         pails, tubs, or cases in dry bran, meal, or
>>         flour."      _Cooking with Honey_, page 150
>> Question:  Where would I look for more information on methods of keeping
>> eggs before modern conveniences?  Can any of you shed more light on this
>> subject for me?

I know the Lehmen's catelog, a resource for simple living and Amish stuff
has a "dip" for preserving eggs. I believe its a mucilage that basically
hermitically seals the shells.

check them out on line! a great source for buckets, handtools, really cool
MEDIEVAL SHAPED cauldrons including some copper kettles, etc.

- --AM