SC - St Paddy's

snowfire@mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Tue Mar 16 07:25:21 PST 1999

><< Question:  Where would I look for more information on methods of keeping
> eggs before modern conveniences?  Can any of you shed more light on this
> subject for me?

Here are two ways eggs were preserved in Britain.  My source is about the
1940s.  I don't know how old the methods are.

To store an egg reliably, it had to be newly laid or one day old at the most.
Usually eggs were preserved in March, April and May.

The most popular method was to put the eggs into a bucket or earthenware
container and cover them with waterglass (sodium silicate).  The alkali
retarded the growth of micro-organisms and the silicate formed a protective
coating on the shell.

There was also a solution called OTEG available to dip the eggs into.  The
solution dried to form a coat of varnish on the shell, thus sealing it.

Elysant