SC - Re: kosher animals

Seton1355@aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Tue Mar 16 17:49:48 PST 1999

Yes, while it is a petroleum based wax, there is nothing in it that
would harm you.  There is also
a liquid parafin that is much cleaner burning and is totally odor free
than kerosine is.  Someone once told me that liquid parafin is used by
fire eaters, because it supposedly won't harm you if swallowed.  But I
haven't verified this at all.

Kerosine would never be used in preserving eggs,
unless you want to poison the people you are serving
them to.

Huette

- ---Helen <him at gte.net> wrote:

> I would think paraffine would the clear wax used in food.  Topping
jelly jars and
> adding th chocolate for dipping.
>
> Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
>
> > Dick's Practical Encyclopedia (yes, one of its dimensions is 10"),
which
> > was re-issued in the 1960's subtitled "How They Did It in the
1870's",
> > mentions various coatings, ranging from olive oil, melted beeswax,
> > paraffine (by which I presume they mean what Americans call
kerosene),
> > and varnishing compounds like collodion, in some cases supplemented
> > after coating by burying in sawdust, bran, or charcoal dust.
> >
> > It's possible the sodium silicate method was unknown as of the
date of
> > this publication, which, at the moment, I can only narrow down to
the
> > 1870's, definitely after 1863, based on one of its bibliographical
sources.

> > Adamantius
> > --
> > Phil & Susan Troy