SC - Re: kosher/halaal animals, paraffin/kerosene

Ian van Tets ivantets at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Wed Mar 17 12:08:03 PST 1999

Ok, I looked it up this time.  "Chewing the cud" only happens in animals
with more than one stomach and has to do with how animals digest
cellulose.  Animals that chew their cud are called ruminants, such as
goats.  Other animals such as rabbits do not need to chew their cud and
cannot because they only have one stomach.
Also rabbits are not in the rodent family.  They are not even in the
same order (Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species).
Rodents are in the order Rodentia and Rabbits are in the order
Lagomorpha.
info gotten from  Fourth Edition Biology by Raven & Johnson (college
biology text)

Estria