SC - St. David's Day food

upsxdls@Okstate.edu upsxdls at Okstate.edu
Wed Mar 17 06:07:27 PST 1999

Having finally found the yellowing notes, we have an adaptation of a recipe
for frumenty from Robert May's The Accomplisht Cook (1660), which places it
out of period.  Since the original recipe is not referenced, I have no idea
how close this matches the original.

Bear

Furmenty

1 cup whole grain wheat berries
4 cups water
1 1/2 cup light cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon mace
1 3" cinnamon stick
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 egg yolks

Rinse wheat to remove chaff.  Now you can do all of these steps in a double
boiler, or you can be immensely careful not to let it burn.

Boil water.  Add wheat, remove from heat, cover and let sit for 8 hours.
Reboil the water and simmer for 1/2 hour.
Drain off excess water.  Add cream, salt and spices.
Simmer until most of the cream has been absorbed, stirring frequently.
Just before serving, beat sugar and egg yolks together.  Stir into the
frumenty and let cook for about 5 minutes.
Remove cinnamon stick.  Serve.

I did this dish once for a feast about 14 years ago with reasonable results.
I used crock pots to cook and hold it.  As it thickens, the dish becomes
more prone to burning and it should not be held too long for that reason.

The people who ate it at the feast referred to it as "frog's eggs".

The top of the dish can be dusted with additional brown sugar or cinnamon
sugar, if you choose.