SC - Re: kosher/halaal animals, paraffin/kerosene

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Wed Mar 17 06:38:50 PST 1999

And it came to pass on 17 Mar 99,, that Ian van Tets wrote:

> (incidentally, Cairistiona - my lady wife -
> does a delicious roast rabbit - strips of bacon over the top and stuffed
> with butter and mushrooms - that is probably as unkosher as you can get.)

Not quite.  Serve it with a sauce containing blood, and you'll be
making it even more unacceptable.

>  I would be interested to know if kangaroo is kosher.  Kangaroo has a
>  delicious venison like meat but I am willing to bet that it was
> overlooked when the laws were written.  It does not have cloven feet but
> it does chew the cud (or rather, kangaroos rechew a proportion of their
> food intake in a manner analagous to cud chewing).  The question is simply
> idle curiosity.

Kangaroo is not kosher.  The laws of kashruth, though they contain
specific examples of kosher and non-kosher animals, are based on
general principles, not comprehensive lists.  Leviticus 11:3
specifies that kosher animals must chew their cud *AND* have
cloven feet.  Rabbits and camels are cited in the subsequent
verses as beast which are treyf because they meet one criterion
(chewing the cud) while failing the other.

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann