SC - Re: Long Pig

Jessica Tiffin melisant at iafrica.com
Fri Mar 19 00:19:26 PST 1999

Bronwynmgn at aol.com wrote:

> I am the head cook for our shire's event in May.  The main dish for the feast
> will be spit-roasted pork (ie we are having someone come in to do a pig
> roast).  I would like suggestions for 2-3 sauces that could be spooned onto
> the meat after the diner gets it on his plate.  The remainder of the feast is
> primarily 14th century English and French, and I would prefer recipes that fit
> into those parameters.

Taillevent recommends roast pork be eaten with verjuice, and says some
people put garlic, onions, wine, and verjuice in the pan with the
drippings from the meat and make a sauce with that. Kind of like sauce
Robert without the mustard.

He says of stuffed roast suckling pig that while some lazy persons eat
it with Cameline Sauce, it should be served with a hot Yellow Pepper
Sauce. Of that, Poivre Jaunet, he says to grind ginger, long pepper,
saffron -- and some people add in cloves with a little verjuice -- and
toast; infuse this in vinegar (or verjuice) and boil it when you are
about to serve your meat.

Something Taillevent doesn't recommend for roast pork, but which happens
to be excellent with it, is Garlic Jance, made from ginger, garlic and
almonds, ground, infused in verjuice and boiled until thickened. He says
some people put white wine in it too. It's a little like a modern Greek Skordalia...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com