SC - Re: Long pig

THLRenata@aol.com THLRenata at aol.com
Fri Mar 19 14:37:59 PST 1999

Chimene here.

When we were doing our research, I charted ingredients on 10 frumenty
recipes from English sources from ca. 1381 thru 2-15th.  Half of them (5)
included sugar.

>From the Misc, the Ancient cookery appended to FC, the recipe on p. 81
>From the Misc, the Noble Boke, the recipe on p. 100
>From my own EETS 2-15th, the recipes on pp. 17, 70 & 105 (that's 75% of
the recipes in that source)

I was expecting the sweetened recipes, had never run across an
unsweetened one particularly.  Are these early enough?  No particular
connection to Christmas in these sources, however.

And thanks to Bear for the info on bulgur and hard/soft wheat.  Did
anyone else have more opinions or evidence on the question of whole wheat
berries vs physically-smashed-in-some-form ones being what period
upper-class diners would expect?

Thanks,
Chimene