SC - Ideal vs. practical

Anna Potts estria at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 21 00:01:01 PST 1999

I'm catching up on some back-digests, but I don't think anyone else asked this:

Admantius said:
> Dick's Practical Encyclopedia (yes, one of its dimensions is 10"), which
> was re-issued in the 1960's subtitled "How They Did It in the 1870's",
> mentions various coatings, ranging from olive oil, melted beeswax,
> paraffine (by which I presume they mean what Americans call kerosene),
> and varnishing compounds like collodion, in some cases supplemented
> after coating by burying in sawdust, bran, or charcoal dust.

Why do you say you persume this is the item Americans call kersosene?

As we are sealing the egg shells because they are porous, I don't think
kerosene (the liquid fuel) would be safe. I thought parafin (the wax)
was known in the 1870s.

I wouldn't coat *my* eggs in kerosene but I would coat them in parafin.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
          http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html ****