SC - [Fwd: [MilitaryMommies] Something to live by!]

Brenna sunnie at exis.net
Sun Mar 21 07:11:38 PST 1999

In a message dated 3/21/99 1:03:14 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
estria at hotmail.com writes:

> myself.  Most of what I was talking about
>  was the SCA in general.  Our group has had many discussions on wether or
>  not we should have a period encampment.  Much of the debate centered
>  around the kids in our household.  It's easier to have things around
>  like instant oatmeal (for breakfast) and things that the kids can fix
>  themselves.

EWWWWW!
You'd do that to your kids??
(instant oatmeal, ptui, ptui, pfft, pfft, bleeeccccchhhhh)
Any kid who can boil water for oatmeal can boil real oatmeal, or real porridge
of any grain, and it tastes a whole lot better, and still has all the good
stuff in it.  Of course, it does take a little more effort on the part of the
adults in the encampment.............
Our kids seem to enjoy it a whole lot more when we take the extra effort to
make things more medieval.  I know they REALLY have enjoyed camp beds as
opposed to sleeping bags on the ground.  And they LOVE to "dress up".  Our
pre-pubescents also behave better, and have more fun when we give them
"medieval chores" than they do when we expect them to fend for themselves and
entertain themselves while mommy and daddy play.  At Estrella War XV, we had
four boys between eight and twelve, and three girls between twelve and
sixteen.  They all ate heartily of the same fare we did, I did have extra
snacks for them, basically cheeses and raw veggies, and the lemonade made from
the lemon syrup recipe I found in Cariadoc's Miscellany from the Andalusian
source.  My fighters benefited as well from the lemonade, and from the mint
sinkajabin from the same source.  It replace electolytes as well as or better
than gatorade, and tastes a world better, and it's period, and CHEAP!
Sugar, water, vinegar, and a handful of mint.  Made a three gallon cooler of
the stuff for less than two dollars.  Do you have any idea what three gallons
of gatorade costs??????  While the lemonade is even cheaper for us, since the
lemons are free.  (Anyone who lives in the Valley of the Sun either has citrus
trees or neighbors with citrus trees.  The neighbors usually beg you to take
the fruit off their hands.)

Mordonna