SC - Re: oats bean barley

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Mon Mar 22 16:47:32 PST 1999

kat wrote:

> Adamantius writes:
>
> <<Adamantius (who knows the Duke of Clarence did not in fact drown in a
> butt of Malmsey)>>
>
> he didn't?  I mean, I know he was murdered; I thought he was just held down in the vat till he stopped wriggling?
>
> What really happened?
>
>         - kat

According to Allison Weir's "The Princes in the Tower",  he wasn't
murdered, but executed after three separate conspiratorial attempts to
usurp the throne from his brother Edward. This part is pretty clearly
documented, a sort of "three strikes, you're out" rule. What's unclear
is exactly how he died, but the original sentence of a public hanging,
drawing and quartering was commuted to some unspecified private
execution. The story about the butt of Malmsey comes from a couple of
different sources, but some of them claim he was more or less starved to
death (a fairly common end for imprisoned traitors) with a butt of
Malmsey to ease the pain. Under the circumstances, if the story is true,
he probably died somewhere in between malnutrition/starvation and
alcohol poisoning.

Actually, my favorite one of these stories is that of Countess Erzsebet
Bathory, who, after being found guilty of murdering unknown hundreds of
peasants, possibly thousands, was sent to her room without supper for
the rest of her life.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy