SC - pomegranate molasses

redbear redbear at hollinet.com
Wed Mar 24 18:27:47 PST 1999

This is a recipe from A DRIZZLE OF HONEY, the food of the Spanish Jews.
This recipe is from 1492.  I have Sephardic Jewish friends that make this very
recipe. (Admittedly she was 90 when she told me about it...)  Anyway, has
anyone ever made hardboiled eggs which they have boiled for 3 hours?  The time
seems excessive to me. Surely the eggs would cook and take up the dye in much
less time.  Comments?
Phillipa

**Pedro de la Caballeria's Vermilioned Eggs**

Loose yellow or red onion skins			12 whire eggs
(about 6 cups)					½ C whire vinegar

In a large non-reactive pot, place hjalf the onion skins, then add the eggs
and the rest 	of the onion skins.
Pour in the vinegar and add water to completely cover.
Cover the pot.
Slowly bring the water to a boilover medium heat and then turn down the heat
to very 	low.
Cook over low heat for 1 hour.
Take the eggs out of the pot.
With a spatula, gently crack the eggs once or twice.  This allows the dye
process to 	penetrate the egg whites.
Return the eggs to the water. Continue to cook the eggs over very low heat for
another 	2 hours.
Remove the eggs from the water, drain
When cool, refrigerate
Peel the eggs and wash off before serving