SC - pomegranate molasses

Aelfwyn@aol.com Aelfwyn at aol.com
Wed Mar 24 19:05:28 PST 1999

Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:

> Anyway, has
> anyone ever made hardboiled eggs which they have boiled for 3 hours?  The time
> seems excessive to me. Surely the eggs would cook and take up the dye in much
> less time.  Comments?
> Phillipa

Not having cooked this recipe, nor boiled eggs for three hours, I have
cooked hard-boiled eggs in breads, pies, steamed buns and in stuffings
for cabbage. The texture changes in what we might deem as overcooking,
but then concepts of "cook" and "done" are subjective at best.

For those who have done this kind of thing, think in terms of cooking
foods like squid and octopus: there's a very brief state of doneness at
which it is considered edible by some cultures, then it becomes
"overcooked", then it can be cooked slowly for a few hours longer and it
becomes tender again. It's kind of the same thing with boiled eggs. When
overcooked they become hard and rubbery, but when cooked longer still
they attain a texture almost like meat.

I can only assume that in the three-to-five minutes of simmering
required to cook what we'd call a hard-boiled egg, not enough color
seeps into the egg... .

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy