great feast was: Re: SC - pomegranate molasses

kat kat at kagan.com
Thu Mar 25 11:24:30 PST 1999

Phillipa asks:

>>Anyway, has anyone ever made hardboiled eggs which they have boiled for 3
>>hours?  The time seems excessive to me. Surely the eggs would cook and
>>take up the dye in much less time.  Comments?
>>Phillipa

When my friend Merrin did her "Feast of Jewish Holidays," one of the things
we fixed were these eggs.  According to her recipe, you can boil them *or*
bake them in water at about 275* for 8 hours or overnight.

We used yellow onion skins, not red (the yellow onions went into something
else, I'm not sure what) and put dozens and dozens of eggs into a turkey
roaster and covered them with water.  I added a little water a couple of
times during the night, but basically we just left them alone.  Drained
them, took them to site as-is, peeled them there and served them cold on
the tables as appetizers.

They tasted exactly like ordinary hard-boiled eggs to me, though a couple
of people said the texture was "creamier."  I didn't notice much
difference, other than the really deep tan color, which was very
attractive.

Just my two cents...

	- kat