SC - jumbles or cracknels recipe needed

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Mar 25 18:49:31 PST 1999

Ras responded to:
>oftraquair at hotmail.com writes:
>
><< osewater and
> anise.  Now if that's the standard flavoring, so be it, but I'm hoping
>find
> something more pretzel-like and more savory.  >>
>

>Any I am sure that Stefan must have a recipe for pretzels which fits
the
>criteria you describe in his Flori-thingy. Finding one that leaves out
the
>boiling step may be a little more difficult.
>
>Ras

Actually, the Florilegum doesn't have any recipes fitting any criteria.
I just went and re-checked the bread, breadmaking and pretzel files and
there are no pretzel or jumble or cracknel recipes. Between Woldmother
and I, there are now two to go in there. The references I re-posted were
as close as I found.

I don't mind a recipe with boiling. I'm planning on serving these along
with a pea soup flavored with ginger (Recipe#1 in "the Medieval Kitchen,
the Cretonee of new peas we discussed last month.)  One of the
autocrat's requests was NOT to start with cheap cheddar and bread as per
usual for our area.  Despite the correctness or not we cooks have been
discussing in another thread, she's just plain sick of seeing it.  I
decided on the soup and I thought we had discussed the various cracker
like objects and that there would be a recipe in Stefan's files.  I left
actually looking for them until this late.

Wolfmother: thank you for the Markham recipe, but as it is for a sweet,
maccaroon type thing, I'll save it for another time.

If anyone else can help me acquire the other recipe that was referenced,
I'd appreciate it.  Or let me know if it turns out to be the one I've
entered below.

Cindy:  I only have a photcopied page so I am not positive of the book,
but I beleive it is "Sallets Humbles and Shrewsbury Cake" recipe which
calls for "dryed" flour. The original source is not listed on the page I
have.

"To make Iambles"

Take eight ounces of flower dryed in an Oven, foure ounces of hard Sugar
beaten and cerst, one ounce of Aniseede being dryed and rubd betweene
your hands, the dust taken cleane out, mixe all these together with the
whites of two new laid egges, and as much damaske-rose-water as will
worke it with a good temperate past, then roule it in long roules as big
as your little finger, then cast it into Letters of Knots of what
fashion you please, so pricke is with a Needle and bake it in an Oven
upon white papers as hot as for Manchet, and in a quarter of an houre
they will bee enough, and then Box them and keepe them dry all the yeare
long for your use, and let them not bee browne in any case.

**the redaction**

1 cup unbleached white flour
1/2 cup sugar
pinch of salt
teaspoon anise seed
2 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon rosewater
1 tablespoon water

Sift the flour, sugar and salt into a bowl. Add the anise seed to the
flour, rubbing it between your hands to release the flavor.  Beat the
egg whites stiff and fold them carefully into the flour mixture.  Add
the rosewater and just enough water to make a workable dough.  With
floured hands work the dough into long rolls. Shape the rolls into
letters and figures.  Place these on a greased cookie sheet and prick
them with a fork for decoration.  Bake the cookies in a preheated 350
degree oven for 10-15 minutes or until they are done but not browned.
Remove to a rack immediately.  The cookies are best when fresh, but will
keep well in a tightly covered jar for a couple of weeks.
Yield: about 10 large cookies.

thanks for your help so far,

Lady Bonne