SC - Khushkananaj (was: Ideal vs. practical)

Harold Tackett htackett at eagnet.com
Fri Mar 26 07:05:13 PST 1999

>Vanishwood at aol.com wrote:
>>
>> Doesn't the book The Delectable Past have a 1544 Swiss recipie for Rosti?

To which Adamantius replied:
>From "The Delectable Past", © 1964 Esther B. Aresty, Simon and Schuster,
>NYC. :
>
>"Let the nobility have their master-chefs. The role of family cook fell
>more naturally on the Hausfrau, and in 1598 one Swiss cook -- Anna
>Weckerin -- completed the first cookbook ever written by a woman. A
>recipe in it bore a close resemblance to R–sti, the delicious sauteed
>potatoes that are as Swiss as William Tell. For delighted cheers, serve
>them with your next steak or roast beef.
>
>R÷STI..."
>
>And Aresty proceeds to give an ordinary recipe for R–sti (actually a
>rather simplified one, turned only once).
>
>She does not include the original recipe.

Well, this is interesting. Has anyone seen a copy of the Anna Weckerin
cookbook? I believe she was the widow of a doctor and it's supposed to also
have a lot of medical advice. It wasn't, by the way, the first cookbook
written by a woman, but I believe it was the first published German
cookbook written by a woman. Anyone know of a reprint edition of this book?
I've never been able to find one.

Valoise