SC - What's in season in June?

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Mar 28 11:09:43 PST 1999

I think they're referring to Sir Kenelme Digbie's Savoury Tosted or
Melted Cheese:

Cut pieces of quick, fat, rich, well tasted cheese, (as the best of
Brye, Cheshire,&c. or sharp thick Cream-Cheese) into a dish of thick
beaten melted Butter, that hath served for Sparages or the like, or
pease, or other boiled Sallet, or ragout of meat, or gravy of Mutton:
and, if you will, Chop some of the Asparages among it, or slices of
Gambon of Bacon, or fresh-collops, or Onions, or Sibboulets, or
Anchovis, and set all this to melt upon a Charing-dish of Coals, and
stir all well together, to Incorporate them; and when all is of an equal
consistence, strew some gross White-Pepper on it, and eat it with tosts
or crusts of White-bread.  You may scorch it at the top with a hot
Fire-Shovel.

>From The Closet..Opened, from Duke Cariadoc's Collection of Medieval and
Renaissance Cookbooks.

Dorothy Hartley's Food in England doesn't mention fondue (not
surprising) and gives an undated Welsh Rabbit (Rarebit) recipe with
butter, ale, salt, pepper, cheese, toast and red-hot fire shovel.  She
suggests for a rich rabbit, fry the toast in bacon fat and says that
beer is the best drink for Welsh Rabbit. (of course!)  She also quotes:

"Fynde wryten amonge olde jestes how God made St. Peter porter of heven.
 And that God of his goodness suffred many men to come to the kyngdome
with small deservying.  At which tyme, there was in heven a grete
company of Welchmen which with they rakrakynge and babelynge trobelyd
all the others.  Wherefore God says to St. Peter that he was wery of
them and he would fayne have them out of heven.  To whome St. Peter
sayde, 'Good Lorde, I warrent you that shall be shortly done'.
Wherefore St. Peter went outside of heven gayts and cryd with a loude
voyce, 'Cause Babe! Cause Babe', that is as moche as to say "Rosty'd
chese!' Which thynge the Welchmen herying ran out of heve a grete
pace...And when St. Peter sawe them all out he sodenly went into Heven
and lokkyed the dore! and so aparyd all the Welchmen out!"

Boorde, Fourteenth Century.

Obviously written by an Englishman ;).  Does anyone know what Boorde she
if referring to?  Could it be Andrew Boorde (A Compandyous Regyment or a
dyetary of Helth, 1542) in the wrong century, or was there another?

Tara