SC - Re: Amazon.com - ot

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 28 11:22:34 PST 1999

>I hope that I don't sound like a whiner, and certainly getting a
discount is
>important--so many books, so little money-- but just as we buy our
cloth and
>pouches from SCA merchants, don't you think that supporting local
booksellers
>is a good idea?

Here, here!

>Please excuse me if I seem heated about this; every week the
booksellers'
>newsletter lists bookstores that are closing: old, established, beloved
ones

The Intimate Bookshop first shrank from a statewide chaing, down to only
the original store and one at the former edge of town (now in town).
Then only that second store.  Now it's gone altogether.  A great loss.
Hastened by a case of arson at the original store. The influx of Big &
Name chain bookstore (2 of them in the Triangle) about the same time
meant that instead of arising from the ashes The Intimate just smoked
and sputtered and finally died.  A great loss to the town and to the
Kuralt family, of course.

>Devra the Baker
>Poison Pen Press -- the finest historical cookbooks (in print) in the
Known World