SC - OT - Sniffle...was - an award for some guy

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Mar 29 07:05:02 PST 1999

OK here are my family's 2 noodle kugel recipes.  BTW, the book The Jewish
Kitchen (I have mentioned this book before) has recipes that are fairly
close to my family's.

Sweet Dairy Noodle Kugel

1pkg broad noodles (large package)
1 lb container of cottage cheese
1 1/2 lb container of sour cream (I use nonfat plain yogurt)
3 eggs, separated
3 tbs sugar
1 tbs cinnamon
1 cup raisins
2 tbs of melted butter
enough apple slices to cover the top
slivered almonds

Mix together sugar, egg yolks, cheese, sour cream, cinnamon, and raisins.
Add wide cooked noodles and stir well.  Beat the egg whites until stiff and
fold into the noodle.  Place mixture into a greased rectangular pan.  Place
apple slices and slivered almonds on top and drizzle melted butter on it.
Bake at 300F for 30-45min or until golden brown on top and the apples are
soft.

Sabbath Kugel

The recipe for this Kugel is mix about 8 ounces of fine egg noodles, 5
eggs, 5 tablespoons of oil, ½ cup of sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 2
teaspoons of salt and 2 teaspoons of black pepper together.  This is placed
in a rectangular pan and backed for about an hour.  When done, it should be
firm and golden brown on the top.

I made the second recently for our barony's potluck feast at our baronial
university.  There wasn't enough for everyone, but those that got to eat it
asked for the recipe.  I also entered it in the artisan competition that
day and had several laurels ask for the recipe and my documentation.  The
other kugel I have discussed with a couple of laurels here in Ansteorra.
They have told me that their families have similar recipes and they are not
Jewish.

Enjoy,

Sindara