SC - REC: Pig's trotters

Decker, Margaret margaret at Health.State.OK.US
Mon Mar 29 08:12:57 PST 1999

"Alderton, Philippa" wrote:

> Master Adamantius

<snip>

> then proceeded to nod off...
>
> "When they called my name, I woke up with a snap, handed my pound of
> silver wreath to a neighbor, and went up, and figured out that though
> they had finished with the Crescent they'd just done, the Order was
> still kneeling there. Luckily there was a pillow to kneel on... .
> Anyway, they read out this whole blahblahblah, and while they were
> reading it the Queen leans forward and says to me, quietly, "This is
> what you get for working so hard the rest of the time that you have to
> sleep in Court!".

I discovered later that the light reflecting off my wreath, which I
swear I only put on for Court (I brought the wreath and laurel cloak for
the meeting but decided it was hokey), as my head bobbed up and down,
with me fighting sleep in an unusally long combined Baronial/Royal
court, was distracting Her Majesty. Guess waking me up was a better
solution (for me, at least) than removing my head! And this in a Court
where His Majesty did indeed cause a heavily armed Champion (Duke Gregor
Von Heisler, no less) to walk back and suggest the crowd of standees at
the rear of the hall keep the noise down.

> "Anyway, so I'm a Silver Crescent now, which was actually more moving and
> important to me than stuff like the Burdened Tyger, because the other
> members of the order kneeling there were all working stiffs I have great
> respect for..."

Somehow I really did think I was safe...just goes to show you that no
one is _ever_  safe. And yes, it's true: while I won't say these people
work harder than the Pelicans as a rule, these tend more to be people
I've known for years and spent a lot of that time knee-deep in muck with
(of one sort or another), and have great respect for all of them. They
weren't just vaguely familiar faces or strangers in nicer clothes than
mine. To my mind these are the broad backs the Society rests on, and it
may have been my most teary-eyed moment in the SCA to be asked to join
them.

> I might add, in his defense (not that he needs one), that he fell asleep
> because he'd been in the kitchen or at Laurel-type meetings all day,

I'd been up till about 3:30 AM preparing for the meeting, playing e-mail
tennis with my co-conspirators (we're working to introduce a variant on
the Laurel's Prize Tourney into the East), and frying Chee-Z-Poufs
(a.k.a. pipesfarces). Then up at 6, and when we arrived they needed help
in the kitchen, and I didn't have to be doing anything else until 1 PM.
I brought my tools to finish setting up my Elitist Running Dog of Laurel
Imperialism tea party, anyway, and since this meeting was plopped in my
lap about a week before the event, I figured it was the least I could do
for the event crew, who were in the same boat as me.

> Congratulations, Master Adamantius! It couldn't have happened to a more
> desrving (if sleepy) man !!!!!!!

Thank you! Snore!!!

Adamantius
- --