OT - Re: SC - Something Else

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Mar 1 03:57:45 PST 1999

Christine A Seelye-King wrote:

> Master Adamantius, (or should I call you Giddius?)
>         Mistress Rozamund of Mercia just finished telling me about the
> wonderful Chinese banquet she shared with you and friends recently.  She
> was telling me about this cooking Laurel in the East, that he was married
> to a Chinese woman, and I said "Adamantius?", and she insisted that no,
> that wasn't your name, that you were Giddius.  After describing yourself
> to me, she then said something about fruit raviolis, and I knew beyond a
> shadow of a doubt that she was speaking about you.  (I knew ther couldn't
> be too many Eastern Cooking Laurels married to Celestial brides, but hey,
> you never know).  She was quite taken with you and the whole evening, and
> said she wasn't suprised that I knew who you were, as she spent much of
> the evening thinking how much she knew I would have loved to be there.
> (She's right.)  I am quite jealous, but glad that you showed her such
> wonderful hospitality.
>         Now, is there anything else we should know about your (various?)
> names?
>         Mistress Christianna MacGrain

Um, uh, my name as registered with the Laurel Sovereign of Arms is
Gideanus Tacitus Adamantius. (The first part of the name is
theoretically of Celtic origin and doesn't follow the usual Roman rule
of there being maybe four or five first names, Gaius, Gnaeus, Marcus,
etc.). They were more or less asleep at the switch. ;  ) .

For years I've been trying, more or less in vain, to explain to people
that only my wife and my mother should call me Gideanus, and that in
private, but people, especially locals who've known me since my
original, late-period persona, seem to insist on assuming that the part
of my name that comes first is what they should call me.

Obviously, with those people whom I know via this electronic medium, I
have a little more control (or at least I did ;  )   ), by simply
signing my name in the way I'd like to be addressed. Now most of my old
friends have begun calling me Adamantius too, with the exception of
Baron Tibor, who speaks of me to others in the proper formal usage,
Gideanus Tacitus.

As for Mistress Rosemound's banquet, I should say she came into New York
City with an old friend of ours, Mistress Gabrielle d'Outre Mer
(officially one of the baby Laurels of the East), originally of
Lagirdam, Meridies (I think!), later of Thor's Mountain, with sojourns
in the East (and Caid) in between and in the present. When Gabrielle
comes for a visit, we almost always visit a restaurant in Chinatown, and
usually order a great variety of dishes because Gabrielle can't get a
lot of this type of food where she lives in Pennsylvania. In this case
we also ordered a lot of stuff because we wanted to be sure Mistress
Rosemounde and her apprentice had enough to eat even if they avoided the
pickled dog's eyes, if you know what I mean. I vaguely recall that the
strangest thing we had was periwinkle snails in black bean sauce.

And yes, Rosemounde and I did somehow get into a discussion on fruit
ravioli... .

[Gideanus Tacitus] Adamantius, unburdened of my dark secret
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com