SC - Jamaican vegetable

Karen tyrca at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 2 13:44:23 PST 1999

I just got back from Jamaica and I was wondering if anyone
could tell me about a vegetable I had there, particularly
its origins and whether or not it's been grown elsewhere
(especially if it started out elsewhere).

The resort I was at served a vegetable labeled simply
"cho cho". I do not know if this was the real name or
a local name. It was served alongside steamed brocolli
in the same manner. The pieces I ate were uniformly
crescent shaped and tasted mild, with the same texture
as the stalk of a well-steamed broccoli stem. "Cho cho"
appeared pale green after steaming. When I asked one
of the locals how it grew, she said "on a vine, not as
a root."

Can anyone point me towards more information about this
plant? It's slim information to go by, but it tasted
soooo good. :)

jasmine
<<<<<<<<

I encountered this vegetable when I lived in Brasil, and there it is
called chuchu.  It is sort of a small green squash about the size of
an onion or apple, but flattish.  I have seen them from time to time
in the exotic vegetable section of the supermarket, along with cactus
leaves, tomotillo, and other food items that are not easily
identifiable to American eyes.

In Brasil, they peel these, and steam them as you would broccoli.  I
had mine usually cubed small and served hot, or cold with mayonaise
like a potatoe salad (sometimes mixed with cubed beets) (very pretty,
but one of the eccentricities of another cultural eating habits)

They are a light green about the color of a Granny Smith apple, more
flat than round, and have a strange dimple in the bottom.  I liked
them, and they are usually called chayote squash at Albertsons.

Tyrca