SC - Dry Site Issues

Ingus Moen ingus_moen at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 2 14:51:19 PST 1999

> I disagree. Alochol evaporates rapidly at temperatures far below that
of the
> boiling point of water. Someone has pointed out on this , IIRC, that
there is
> alcohol left in the finished product. Those figures show a residual
alcohol
> level far below anything that anyone could clain as 'alcoholic'.
Longer
> cooking would in fact virtually drive any amounts of alcohol out that
were in
> any way significant.
[snip]
> Yours in Service to the Dream,
> Ras

The following website may be of some interest to those following this
discussion:
http://www.mayohealth.org/mayo/askdiet/htm/new/qd970305.htm
It contains information about the amount of alcohol remaining in food
after various time periods and cooking methods.

2.5 HOURS??  THat makes me wonder how much wine they were boiling.  AND
if they had added it to somehting or were boiling it alone.  These
factors would cause the amount to fluctuate. If they boiled/simmered a
single bottle of wine for 2.5 hours, not olnly would they alcohol be 0%
(instead of the 5% they purport) but, the moisture content would also be
0%.  The char left would be 100%  and there is a possibility that the
usefulness of the skillet used to simmer afterward would be 0%.  In
short, you'd have probably melted a hole right throgh the blasted
thing....:)

Regards, Ingus