SC - Puck's marzipan

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Mar 5 19:54:42 PST 1999

"pop.efortress.com" wrote:

> >>I'm inclined to think the oblats are a prepared product of a fairly
> >>specific size and shape, and if you want to make marchpanes of a larger
> >>size, you overlap them to the size you want. It almost reads as if you
> >>stack them up and laternate layers, but I think overlapping them across
> >>your work space makes more sense.
> >>
> >>Adamantius
>
> Master A, my thinking was layering them as well, and I must admit, I don't
> understand the statement about overlapping them across the worksapce.  Could
> you elaborate please?
>
> confuzzled, Puck

Interesting, since I couldn't see the point to stacking them. I mean,
marzipan is thick enough to support itself at quite a respectable
height; why would you need a wafer infrastructure?

On the other hand, if your wafers are six inches across, and you need an
eight or ten-inch-wide-or-diameter marchpane, you could lay out three or
four partially overlapping wafers with a continuous mass of marzipan on
top of it all. When cooked it would probably be fairly cohesive, and if
the wafers were thin enough the overlapping layers on the bottom would
not be especially intrusive.

I figured the second interpretation seemed more likely, based purely on
imagery, albeit the English recipes seem to suggest otherwise.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com