SC - Salmon (was: meat and seafood marinades)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Mar 5 22:40:23 PST 1999

> Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 12:49:48 -0800
> From: david friedman <ddfr at best.com>
Elizabeth/Betty Cook recently gave a redaction for a broiled salmon steak:

This sounds wonderful and something I can do. Some questions on the
redaction.

> Here is a 15th-c. English salmon recipe, good and not too complicated:
>
> Salmon roste in Sauce
> Two Fifteenth Century p. 102

<snip>
> And then take vynegre, or vergeous, and pouder ginger, and cast
> there-to;

> 1 3/4 lb salmon         3/4 t cinnamon          1/4 c red wine vinegar
> 3/4 c white wine        1 medium onion, 6 oz    1/4 t ginger

Isn't the original actually saying "vinegar or verjuice"? If this is
the case and you intentionally left the possibility of verjuice out,
why? Was it because it is not normally available? Or you don't think
there is a big taste differance between verjuice and vinegar? But
from the descriptions here of verjuice being from green grapes or
other fruits, is red wine vinegar close to the taste of verjuice?

I've become a convert after listening to you folks on wanting to
see the original recipes. Even if in this case, I wouldn't be
sure of just how the salmon was cut without Elizabeth's translation.
I can read enough to wonder about some things like this verjuice
question.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: