SC - viking cookery

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Mar 7 22:34:16 PST 1999

Madeleine asked:
> I am hoping to do a viking themed feast at a camping event this summer
> and was wondering if anyone could recommend books or websites with
> information and recipes on Scandinavian cookery.

You might try these files in my Florilegium:
In the FOOD section:
fd-Norse-msg      (23K)  7/17/98    Norse and Viking food.

In the NORSE section:
Norse-food-art     (8K)  7/26/94    Article on what the Norse ate.

And perhaps these in the same section:
N-drink-ves-msg    (9K) 10/16/96    Norse drinking vessels.
N-drink-trad-art  (18K)  7/31/98    "Norse Drinking Traditions" by Gunnora
                                       Hallakarva.

Without any surviving cookbooks from the Vikings, what little there is
to go on will be descriptions about the food and archeological info
rather than recipes. So this file in the FOOD-BOOKS section might also
be of use:
books-food-msg    (34K)  1/26/99    Books about food. Not cookbooks.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
          http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html ****