SC - need a wow! dish

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Mar 8 04:22:07 PST 1999

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir wrote:

> >Also, does anyone remember the source for a recipe that makes one huge egg
> >out of a bunch of small eggs?  It involves swirling the water...
>
> Other than the one in the Basel manuscript that involves pig bladders?
>
> Nanna

"The Second Part of The Good Hus-Wives Jewell" (1597?) has a recipe
called 'A made dish of the proportion of an Egge, for flesh daies'. It
also calls for bladders as a shaping medium, and uses a prepared
stuffing instead of yolks (although I believe yolks are in the
stuffing), which then gets encased in the whites. No mention is made in
that text about swirling water, but I recall seeing that somewhere else.
Just not sure where. I also recall seeing such a recipe wherein the yolk
of the giant egg is simply made from egg yolks. I'll look for it. It may
also be the one with the swirling water, although I may be confused with
something else: I know there's a recipe somewhere that produces a
spherical fried egg, made by stirring the deep-frying fat into a
whirlpool of sorts and dropping the egg in the middle.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com