SC - cooking in a pit or on a spit

SigridPW at aol.com SigridPW at aol.com
Mon Mar 8 08:04:17 PST 1999

In a message dated 3/8/99 5:41:13 AM Pacific Standard Time, LrdRas at aol.com
writes:

<< It would be the latter only if you used a microvave. :-) When I do a pig
for
 weddings, etc. I usually start it around midnight and it is ready a little
 after noon ...about 12 hrs. later >>

No microwave necessary (that was another cooking bunch in Caid!).....  I don't
stuff them, I bank the coals under the meat ends and keep the charcoal hot.
The pig goes on about 10:30 or 11:00, and is done about 6:30... after 6 or
seven of these I've got it down to a system....  Also, If you leave the skin
on, there is no need to baste as the skin keeps the moisture in the meat.  Of
course if you want to do something more than just roast it you add time,
however, at a primitive site for 75 fighter types at a war, hot roasted meat
carved off the spit seems to be more than acceptable.  I suppose it would
depend on whom you were serving and what your facilities were, your staff,
etc.  but .....

We couldn't start the meat any sooner because that was when the pig was
slaughtered and it needed to hang.  Sometimes the pig ranch slaughtered it the
night before if we drove out and picked out the one we wanted.  And as I said,
6 to seven hours got Mr. Piggy done and on the plates!  :o)

Lady Giuglia