SC - Citrus Fruit History (long)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Mar 8 12:39:32 PST 1999

At 1:55 PM -0500 3/8/99, Tollhase1 at aol.com wrote:
>Actually, I am not offended in any way, nor did I even think that there was
>anything meant but educational information.  If I have been defensive in my
>manner, I apologize.

You weren't. On the contrary, your response was entirely appropriate.

>However for feasts, we are trying to bridge the gap between really period, and
>not having everyone go to fast food places.

I don't think that gap exists. There is an enormous range of surviving
period recipes available, many very good. You are already making things
that aren't "standard American" (curry and hummus)--period Islamic cooking
is no more exotic than modern Islamic cooking. Just different.

>By the way, are not curries an Indian dish.

Yes. Although the term in Indian cooking covers a substantial range of
things, many of which don't have "curry powder" in them.

>Would not
>the overland routes passed through the northern part of that continent?  Or
>would it have been picked up by the western movement of the Mongols?  If I
>understood properly, its the humus and the curry that people had problems
>with?

Fried potatoes are a French dish--it doesn't follow that the French ate
them in the Middle Ages. You are implicitly assuming that Indian cooking
hasn't changed in the past four or five hundred years. People often make
that assumption about "ethnic" cuisines but, so far as I can tell, there is
no evidence to support it and lots of evidence against. To find out what
period Indian cooking was like you look for period Indian cookbooks, just
as to find out what period English cooking was like ...   .

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/